UC to offer support to applicants affected by natural disasters

In an effort to assist freshman and transfer applicants affected by the deadly wildfires that have scorched large stretches of California — as well as by the recent spate of other natural disasters — the University of California will extend its fall 2018 application deadline to December 15 for affected students who may need additional time to complete the application process.

UC remains committed to ensuring that fall 2018 applicants affected by the recent natural disasters receive the support they need during this difficult time.

Detailed information on how to request an extension, along with additional important advice, is posted below:

A MESSAGE FOR APPLICANTS AFFECTED BY FIRES, STORMS, EARTHQUAKES, AND/OR OTHER NATURAL DISASTERS
On behalf of our faculty, staff and students, the University of California would like to express profound sympathy and concern to those impacted by the recent spate of devastating natural disasters. Our community has pledged assistance to those in need and is committed to supporting applicants who have been affected by these events. For students who are applying to UC this fall, we hope the following information helps you during this difficult time.
APPLICATION FOR UNDERGRADUATE ADMISSIONS FALL 2018
Requesting an Extension and Fee Waiver: If you are unable to complete your application by
November 30, you may request an extension to December 15, 2017 by following two steps below:
1. Email your extension request to [email protected] with the following subject line: “Extension Request Weather/Fire Event”
2. Create your UC Application account for fall 2018 at https://universityofcalifornia.edu/apply. You can continue to work on the application while your request for late submission is processed (3-5 working days). An application fee waiver will be automatically applied to your account and will cover the cost for up to four campuses.
Providing Context: Students affected by recent natural disasters are encouraged to include relevant circumstances in the “Additional Comments” within the Personal Insight section of the application. Include details such as inability to complete specific courses, a mid-year school change, or other conditions that may affect your academic profile. UC campuses will make allowances, if appropriate, for applicants affected by long-term impacts of their circumstances.
APPLICATION HELP
If you have questions about completing the UC admissions application, please contact the UC Application Center at (800) 207-1710 (within U.S.) or (925) 298-6856 (outside U.S.), or email [email protected].
Standard Operating Hours: 
Monday Friday, 10am 6pm PST
Saturday & Sunday Closed
2017 Peak Seasonal Hours:
Nov. 1-22: Monday Friday, 8am 10pm PST
Nov. 23 (Thanksgiving): Closed
Nov. 24-28: 8am 11pm PST
Nov. 29-30: 8am midnight PST
Dec. 1: 8am 6pm PST
Dec. 4: back to Standard Operating Hours
FRESHMAN TEST REQUIREMENT
If you still need to complete the standardized test requirement, we encourage you to register for the next available test administration. For more information on registration fee waivers for the November or December SAT, please contact the College Board Customer Service line at (866) 756-7346.
FINANCIAL AID AND STUDENTS AFFECTED BY CALIFORNIA WILDFIRES
We understand that the fires throughout California may result in changes in your or your family’s financial circumstances for the upcoming year. We recommend that you, and all UC applicants, complete your financial aid application (FAFSA or California Dream Act Application) by the priority filing date of March 2, 2018.
The financial aid application asks for 2016 income and the value of current assets. However, if there are changes in your family’s income or assets that you believe are not reflected on your application, or if you have any special circumstance that may affect your eligibility for financial aid, please contact the financial aid offices at the campuses that you are interested in attending. Each campus has an appeal process that allows families to provide information that can be considered when determining financial aid eligibility. Follow any instructions you receive and be
prepared to write a letter explaining your situation and to provide any written documentation to support your request for a review (e.g., insurance claims).