Two sisters – one graduation day

Jordan and Taylor Kelly started attending Armijo in their freshman year and, while they’ve done a lot of things together, they have each found a way to make a name for herself on campus. Jordan has been involved with Drama Club, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), basketball and softball. Taylor has also been part of FCA, where she is vice president, and also played softball. When they are not playing softball, Jordan likes to participate in photography and Taylor likes to hang out with her friends. Taylor also used to play for a travelling softball team called Game Day out of Vacaville.

Despite similar experiences, they each had a different perspective on what changes needed to happen at the Armijo campus. Taylor, for instance, said that she would change the academics and the way it is presented. “If you’re not in IB (International Baccalaureate), then you’re not on track for a four-year college,” she said. She was referring to the A-G requirements that California colleges require and many Armijo students fail to complete before graduating. Jordan, however, looked at the level of spirit on campus. “I would change the fact that there aren’t as many school activities like other schools have, such as rallies and events.” Still, she admitted that she was going to miss the activities that she has enjoyed with her class.  Her favorite memory? “Playing basketball junior year,” she said.

“My favorite memory of Armijo is probably Powder Puff and I’ll definitely miss A-team games the most,” said Taylor.

Both girls said that they would encourage new students to get involved. “Be outgoing and be open to making new friends,” said Jordan. “It’s easier and a lot more fun to have good people around you.”

Taylor took it one step further. “Join clubs, join leadership and play sports,” she said. “It’s the best way to have a great high school experience because you meet so many different people and make great friends.”

In June, the girls are probably going to be going their separate ways but they are not positive. “I’m not sure where I want to go to college but definitely a community college,” Taylor said. Her goal is to major in criminology and psychology. She eventually plans on joining the FBI academy or enlisting. Jordan, on the other hand, intends to either go to Iowa Lakes Community College in Iowa or Sac State. “I’m still undecided. I intend to major in nursing or early childhood development.” Jordan eventually wants to become a pediatric nurse.