Gemstones that sparkle

Diamonds might be a girl’s best friend, they might be the birthstone for April but, at Armijo, Diamond Dixson is one of the sophomores that sparkle and shine. When Dixson shares her first name with people, they often respond with, “OMG, your name is so cute!!”Dixson met someone else who had her first name, but it only happened once. Otherwise, she realizes that it is a rare name. “I actually like my name, how it is now,” she said.

While she doesn’t know where she wants to go to college, Dixson knows that she wants to be a nurse. When she was interviewed at the end of her freshman year, she wasn’t involved in any sports or clubs, but she has many opportunities to change that this year.

There are twelve months in the year so, naturally, there are twelve birthstones. Not only does Armijo have a Diamond in our midst, but we also have July’s birthstone represented by Ruby Cruz Alvarado, who is also a sophomore. “There is a story behind my name, but I forget,” Cruz Alvarado said.

Like Dixson, Cruz Alvarado plans to go to college but she is not sure where. She is a fan of rock, pop and punk music and plans to get involved in some clubs and possibly some sports this year.

If she could choose a name other than Ruby, she said that she would want to be called Blue “because that’s my nickname and originally that was going to be my name.”

Armijo also has a sparkling freshman, Jewel Escalera. She did not respond to requests in time for deadline.