Week of Welcome

The very first week of school Armijo hosted a Week of Welcome. While it had an impact on the tone for the year, the individual lessons were not memorable to many students. The most lasting memory of the week was the shortened school day on Friday and the ice cream that the students received after school.

The Week of Welcome was actually only about two days long and many students were still getting their schedules organized, moving classes and getting new teachers. In addition, not all teachers participated in the lessons that were offered. As a result, some students were unable to have the whole experience.

The planned experience was that, starting on Thursday of the week, each class would present a suggested lesson that promoted good citizenship and commitment to the school culture. The first lesson was given in 4th period, a new lesson was offered in 5th and a third lesson was presented in 6th. The next day, a new trio of lessons was shared in 1st, 2nd and 3rd periods.

The concept was good, but it could benefit from some follow-up. later on in the year, when the students are familiar with their classes. The lessons should be expanded and the lessons could span over an entire week. With these changes and additions, this time set aside to develop a positive school culture could move from a forgettable sideshow, to a brief, but memorable, attraction.