Students gain valuable insights at construction trades career fair

The Construction Trades Career Fair introduces students to a future that does not require a college education.

FAIRFIELD, CA – On Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 46 Armijo High School students embarked on a remarkable journey of exploration and discovery at the Solano County Fairgrounds. The occasion was a hands-on construction trades career fair in which students had the opportunity to witness and participate in demonstrations by various skilled professionals in the industry.

The event provided a unique platform for students to engage and network directly with experts from a wide range of construction trades. The fair boasted an impressive lineup of professionals representing the following trades: Brick Layers, Carpenters, Cement Masons, Electricians, Glaziers, Insulators, Iron Workers, Operating Engineers, Painters and Tapers, Laborers, Painters, Plumbers, Sheet Metal Workers, Steamfitters, Surveyors, Testing & Inspection, Boilermakers, Firemen, and Police Officers.

The career fair aimed to bridge the gap between theory and practice, enabling students to envision themselves as successful contributors to the construction industry. Many of the students in attendance were part of Armijo High School’s construction and welding career technical education (CTE) pathways. It encouraged them to consider pursuing apprenticeships, vocational training, or higher education in related fields.

Sandy Anderson, a College and Career technician at Armijo High School, spoke enthusiastically about the event, stating, “The Hands-On Construction Trades Career Fair was a phenomenal experience for our students. This event opened their eyes to the vast array of career possibilities in the construction trades, and we are grateful for the opportunity to expose them to these valuable experiences.”