Like a New England college in SoCal

College Focus – Pomona College

While it seems unimposing, if you attend it can feel like home.

Are you in the search for a college located in SoCal? One that is known for their programs in writing and literature? Then, this is the place for you!

Pomona College is a private liberal arts college located in Claremont, established in 1887 by a group of Congregationalists with the goal of creating a “college in New England” type in Southern California. Pomona College offers 48 majors in liberal arts disciplines, as well as roughly around 650 courses.

Since Pomona College is connected to the other Claremont Colleges, students can also have access to an additional 2,000 courses they have to offer. Something important to highlight is that Pomona College is considered the most prestigious liberal arts college in the American West and in the country, which is quite impressive. For more information, visit: www.pomona.edu/.

Pomona College is known as the place where many outstanding authors have come from, due to the many majors and programs offered related to literature, which include classics with an (optional) emphasis on classical languages and literatures, as well as English, linguistics, and even romance languages & literatures. For example, with the traditional English major, “English majors and minors engage, interpret and analyze a vast swath of literary texts that cross genres, places and time. Your study will be close and deep as you seek to understand English literatures’ forms, meaning, contexts and relationships. In the English department you can take courses ranging from modern British and Irish literature to Asian American literature, from William Blake to Native American women writers. You can explore film and text, and write your own fiction and poetry. You’ll master interpretation and analysis, learning to formulate robust and original arguments both in writing and speaking.” (Website).

Undergraduate research is also available for those interested in various areas of study, the possibilities are endless!

According to US News, the acceptance rate for Pomona College is 7% which is very selective. Around half of the applicants had an SAT score between 1470 and 1570 and an ACT score between 33 and 35. Admissions officials here at Pomona consider a student’s GPA a very important academic factor, as well as high school class rank and letters of recommendation. The application deadline for Pomona College was January 8, with a fee of $70.

In-state-tuition here at Pomona College is approximately $59,000. This cost includes both tuition and fees, also known as the sticker price, however it is critical that you keep in mind the additional cost of room and board, books and supplies, technology resources, student centers, transportation and personal expenses. But don’t feel overwhelmed! Financial aid is available for students, which can come in the form of student grants, loans, and scholarships. You can fill out the FAFSA form, which opens every October 1st, and is recommended by many experts, as every year, thousands of dollars are being unclaimed by students. But make sure to fill it out as soon as possible, as it is first come, first serve!

Some of the most notable alumni from Pomona College include American author Marriane Williamson, American biochemist Jennifer Doudna, retired American singer and songwriter Kris Kristofferson, and American civil rights activist Myrlie Evers-Williams.