Learn to solve real world problems

College Focus: Michigan State University

Are you searching for a college far from home? Maybe you are interested in everything that has to do with the environment and agriculture? Then this might be the place for you!

Michigan State University is a public land-grant research university located in East Lansing, Michigan, and founded in 1855 originally as the “Agricultural College of the State of Michigan”. Fun fact: Michigan State is considered a Public Ivy, in other words a public institution that offers an academic experience which is similar to that of an Ivy League University.

Michigan State offers more than 400 undergraduate, graduate and certificate areas of study across 17 degree-granting colleges in disciplines such as anthropology, global history, political science, just to name a few. For more information, visit: www.msu.edu/

Some of the many programs that are offered at Michigan State are related to agricultural sciences, which include undergraduate degrees such as “Agriculture, Food, and Natural Resources Education” and “Agriculture and Natural Resources – Exploratory”. According to their website, “The agriculture, food and natural resources education program prepares students for a career as a school-based agriculture, food and natural resources teacher or related education positions.

“Our students combine experience in the classroom and laboratory with real world opportunities — like professional internships, community engagement projects and education abroad — to apply what you learn in the classroom to solving real world problems.” Some career paths for graduates involve being financial consultants, agricultural sales and service representative, agricultural consultant, Future Farmers of America (FFA) adviser, and more.

According to US News, the acceptance rate for Michigan State University is 83%, which isn’t very selective. Around half of the applicants had an SAT score between 1100 and 1320, or an ACT score between 23 and 29. The admissions officials consider a student’s GPA a very important academic factor, as well as high school rank and letters of recommendation. The application deadline is rolling and the application fee is $65.

In-state-tuition at Michigan State is approximately $14,900, with out-of-state tuition at $40,700. This cost includes both tuition and fees, also known as the sticker price, however it is critical that you keep in mind the additional cost of room and board, books and supplies, technology resources, student centers, transportation and personal expenses. But don’t feel overwhelmed! Financial aid is available for students, which can come in the form of student grants, loans, and scholarships. You can fill out the FAFSA form, which opens every October 1st, and is recommended by many experts, as every year, thousands of dollars are being unclaimed by students. But make sure to fill it out as soon as possible, as it is first come, first serve!

Some of the most notable alumni from Michigan State University include American former professional basketball player Magic Johnson, American professional basketball player Draymond Green, American lawyer and politician Gretchen Whitmer, and American sports journalist Jemele Hill.