Leadership gives sophomore treasurer perspective

Sophomore Treasurer: Manny Chizer

While the title suggests money management, Manny is responsible for much more.

ID Photo

After another successful class officer campaign, Manny Chizer remains the Treasurer for the Class of 2025. You may have already read a general profile on him as a freshman here at The Signal, but this article will cover the Leadership aspect of his life. Despite his specific role, “the priorities and tasks remain the same for all officers to work together and deal with,” Chizer said. “I am glad to be able to work with such great people beside me and I expect great things from them in the future.”

I am sure he would agree with the sentiment that Leadership is drastically different to your typical school program/class. It requires hard work and dedication to wake up early every morning then plan engaging events for the rest of the school to enjoy. Considering that Chizer plans to eventually become an ASB officer, he is prepared to grow and make sacrifices to improve the program. However, Leadership does offer its students a unique perspective on the typical high school experience.

“Over the next couple of years, I wish to take on challenges and live in the moment while I still can.”

— Manny Chizer

“Establishing great relationships with many of my peers, having loads of fun at sporting events, and giving me a general sense of what it’s like to be involved with the environment around me,” he said. “I always advocate the program to many of my non-leadership friends because of how nice it is to throw crazy events for the school and for Leadership.” 

It is clear to see that being in the Leadership program has allowed Chizer to stay connected and passionate about Armijo, which he believes to be the most important characteristic for a leader to have. Someone who is less prepared but more passionate will always win over someone who is over prepared and less passionate. Throughout high school, passion has allowed him “to exploit the positives in school activities and build connections on the way.”

Chizer suggests that anyone interested in the Leadership program speak to Leadership Adviser Mr. Casey Towner in AG-5, who would be happy to explain everything. “I hear too many people say they don’t want to do it because you have to wake up early,” Chizer said. “After a couple days, it becomes a routine and it feels normal. As long as you are willing to sacrifice today, it’ll make for a better tomorrow.”

Although he’s not a perfect person and has a long way to go on the path of self-improvement, Chizer has been working “on staying optimistic about it all and moving forward with my head up. So I’d like to thank everyone for allowing me to be where I am today.”