Close to home, surrounded by nature

College Focus – Sacramento State

Alexandr Lukatskiy

Commuters can enjoy a campus that is close to home.

Are you looking for a college that is close to home? What about one that is known for its natural beauty and landscapes? Then, this is the place for you!

Sacramento State is a public university that is located at the heart of California, founded in 1947 under the original name “Sacramento State College”. As a fun fact, it is the 11th oldest institution of the California State University system.

Sacramento State offers 151 different bachelor’s degrees, nearly 70 master’s degrees, 28 types of teaching credentials, and five doctoral degrees. The bachelor’s degrees range from Humanities & Religious studies to Public Policy & Administration. For more information, visit: www.csus.edu/.

Sacramento State is described as more of a community rather than a college, which promotes the Hornet Honor Code: honesty, integrity, respect, and care for every person. They foster a lifelong love for learning and success for its students as well as diversity. Sacramento State is mostly surrounded by nature, and boasts amenities for students such as swimming pools, sports courts, and recreation rooms, and with more than 300 clubs and organizations to form a part of on campus to round out your student experience.

According to US News, Sacramento State has an acceptance rate of 94%, which is not very selective. Around half of the applicants had an SAT score between 890 and 1090, as well as an ACT score between 16 and 24. An applicant’s GPA is considered a very important factor during the admission process; however, high school class rank and letters of recommendation are not taken into consideration during the admission process. The application deadline was November 30, with a fee of $70, but it is something to consider in the future.

In-state-tuition is around $7,500 and $16,700 for out-of-state. This cost includes both tuition and fees, also known as the sticker price. It is critical, however, that you keep in mind the additional costs of room and board, books and supplies, technology resources, student centers, transportation and personal expenses. But don’t feel overwhelmed! Financial aid is available for students, which can come in the form of student grants, loans, and scholarships.

You can fill out the FAFSA form, which opens October 1, and is recommended by many experts, as every year, thousands of dollars are being unclaimed by students. The deadline for the FAFSA form is March 1, but make sure to fill it out as soon as possible, as it is first come, first serve!

Some of the most notable alumni from Sacramento State include actor and filmmaker Tom Hanks, journalist Lester Holt, film director Ryan Coogler, and jurist Janice Rogers Brown.