Music threads its way through her life

Teacher Feature- Denise Hunter, Choir

Natasha Newton

Ms. Hunter took a long journey that led her to Armijo.

Voices singing simultaneously, a collection of harmonies, the melodious cadence of song. The evocative nature of singing is a quality that Armijo High’s choir teacher admires.

Music was something constant throughout Ms. Denise Hunter’s life. In her youth, she joined her high school choir, band, and orchestra. Fueling her desire, she sought opportunities where she could both sing and perform. A group called The Spurrlows fit her criteria, however being a former high school student entering her freshman year of college, her parents denied her the opportunity.

While attending Southern Illinois University, the Spurrlows held auditions, with only one vacant spot, that of a woman. Ms. Hunter auditioned for the role and was accepted into the group. With The Spurrlows, she traveled all over the continental U.S., even meeting up with Nat King Cole’s daughter to sign a record deal. The record deal would be with Capitol Records, famous for their work with Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Sir Paul McCartney, The Beach Boys, and the Bee Gees.

With the travel, she visited California, which ultimately lead her to make the drastic change of setting. Once in California, she joined the Fairfield- Suisun Unified School District (FSUSD) and began to teach.

Here in California, she owned a voice studio, which is where she first began to share her unique approach to singing. She recognizes the voice as an instrument, something that can be utilized and honed. This is what motivated her to teach, to spread her ideas. She said, “I think I always knew that I would become a music teacher.”

Teaching all throughout the district, she finally found herself at Armijo, where she teaches Choir. Ms. Hunter works to create a comfortable environment where she encourages her students to improve. “A rumor about Choir is that you have to know how to sing before you join. That’s not true, it’s a learned skill,” she said.

Ms. Hunter explained that Choir has a sense of community and students are welcomed into a family where you are properly embraced. Ms. Hunter is constantly supporting her students, consistently helping them work towards improvement.