David A. Weir Preparatory Academy Students Give Back

“It is great to see our eighth graders acting as school leaders and working together to do good in our community,” said Principal Guernsey.

Fairfield, CA – On Wednesday, December 14, 2022 students from David A. Weir Preparatory Academy participated in their 8th Annual Holiday Hoopla event. Every year, students bring in money to donate to an organization in need. This year’s donations surpassed previous years with $2215 being donated to Court Appointed Special Advocates for Children (CASA) of Solano County.  Executive Director of CASA of Solano County, Candy Pierce, attended the Holiday Hoopla race and cheerfully accepted the school’s donation.

“Holiday Hoopla started as a way to foster community and build something we can pass on for years to come. In previous years, we donated to Toys for Tots and to schools affected by the Camp Fire,” said Alison Guernsey, Principal of David A. Weir Preparatory Academy. “This year we are truly excited to donate to a local organization that does so much to support children in our county.”

Staff at David A. Weir started collecting donations for Holiday Hoopla at the end of November. After two weeks of collecting donations, the event culminated in a school-wide race around campus. Students from all grades were invited to participate, but those who brought in a dollar or more to donate to CASA of Solano County were given a colorful running bib and a chance to win a raffle prize.

Holiday Hoopla also provides eighth-grade students with the opportunity to assist in coordinating the event.