Advance academic excellence

Club Corner – National Honor Society

The National Honor Society brings valuable opportunities to elevate your academic career.

National Honor Society (NHS) is a club that’s been around since 1921, with chapters all over the country. The Club is dedicated to recognizing high school students who meet high academic standards, and it is only open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors, because freshmen do not meet requirements needed to become a member, such as having a GPA of a 3.0 or better for at least one full year of high school.

Every NHS chapter is required to publish its qualifications for membership, qualifications which are based on the four pillars of Scholarship, Service, Leadership, and Character. Students in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program often join NHS to help them earn their Creativity, Action and Service (CAS) hours, because it is an organized way to earn some of the 150 hours required for an IB diploma.

Other students join to strengthen their college application. The club offers college admission and financial aid planning resources.

Armijo’s NHS chapter traditionally participates in Haunted Halls, Read across America Day where they read to elementary school students, and food giveaways. They also tend to spend time tutoring younger students.

NHS meets Thursdays at lunch in B-10. The adviser is Ms. Kirsten Tomko. Students interested can attend a meeting or get more information by emailing [email protected].