A pair of siblings with different orbits

Aniya and Aeneas Gibson

Aniya is all smiles when she considers her future.

Even though they are only a year apart, Aniya and Aeneas Gibson have not always shared the same school campus. “He was homeschooled while I attended public school. At the end of my sophomore year, I transferred from Public Safety Academy to Armijo. When we came back from distance learning he started Armijo,” she said. They did go to elementary school together, though.

While they don’t share any of the same classes or teachers this year, Aeneas has had some of his sister’s former teachers.

“There’s nothing really bad about sharing a campus with him,” Aniya said. “I don’t see him on campus. I always joke that he’s skipping school because I never see him on campus during the day.”

While Aniya was not sure what her brother’s post-high school plans were, she has already made some for herself. “Directly after graduation, I plan to become a camp counselor,” she said. “I adore working with children and I’ve wanted to be a school teacher. I’m hoping this experience will help me decide what grade levels I want to teach.”

While her first priority would be going to college to work towards becoming a STEM teacher, she has also considered becoming an agricultural scientist. “I would love to become a teacher but my end goal in life is to work where I’m happy and I make a difference in people’s lives,” she said.

For fun, Aniya said that she likes to experiment with social media algorithms. “This essentially means I like to create content and figure out what makes them get more views/likes,” she said. This is enhanced by her involvement at Armijo. “I am a Multimedia Academy student and I am the Vice President of the Multimedia Academy Club,” she said. “I regularly participate in Armijo Theatre Productions; I’ve been on the improv team for two years and I’ve participated in the spring musical and fall play.

Aeneas was not able to share his perspective. (ID photo)

While Aeneas did not respond to interview requests, Aniya reflected on what he would have said about her. “My brother should say I am the coolest person he knows, because I really am,” she said, but then continued. “Just kidding. I genuinely don’t know what my brother would say about me. I feel like we have a silent but mutual respect for each other, but, I am much cooler than him.”

These two aren’t the only siblings in the family, though. They have an older sister who is 19, and their younger sister While the two siblings share the campusI have an older sister who is 19 and a younger sister, Anila, who is a fifth grader at Suisun Elementary.