Nelda Mundy Elementary School Receives State Recognition

Being able to successfully encourage over a hundred students to safely walk or bike to school is no easy feat.

Fairfield, Ca. – On Wednesday, November 9, 2022, Nelda Mundy Elementary School received the Solano Transportation Authority Safe Routes to School Award. Nelda Mundy Elementary School was recognized as a champion school for the Safe Routes to School Program with over 100 students that walk or ride to school every day.

The Solano Safe Routes to School program encourages children to safely walk or bike to school and supports this effort with free, fun, and educational events and school programs.  This past year, Nelda Mundy Elementary School has encouraged its students to walk or ride to school by hosting multiple Bike Mobiles and facilitating a Walk or Wheel (WOW) program that educates students on bicycle and pedestrian safety. Nelda Mundy Elementary School was the first school to register for Bike to School and Walk to School Day.

“We are delighted to have participated in the Safe Routes to Schools Program,” stated Julie Reece, Principal at Nelda Mundy. “It is great to see the positive effects it has on our students and our community, and we look forward to continuing our participation in this important program in the future!”