7th Annual FSUSD/Special Olympics Soccer Kicks Off

FSUSD elementary schools to create a fun and accepting environment for all students, regardless of ability.

Fairfield, CA – On Friday, October 28, 2022, Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District elementary school students participated in part one of the 7th Annual 2022 Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District/Special Olympics Soccer Event. FSUSD has partnered with Special Olympics Northern California to create a sports program to unify students with and without disabilities.

This year, the event has been split into two days and spread out to two different locations. On October 28, Crescent Elementary School welcomed 120 students from Anna Kyle and Oakbrook Elementary Schools. Volunteers from the Crescent Elementary School Leadership class, Suisun City Fire Department, and Suisun Police Department were also in attendance to assist with running the various soccer skills stations.

The second part of this event will take place this Thursday at KI Jones Elementary School and will host 160 students from Dover, David A. Weir Preparatory, and Laurel Creek Elementary Schools.

These events provide attendees the knowledge, experience, and skills necessary to create and sustain school communities that promote inclusion, acceptance, and respect for all students.

“FSUSD is delighted to host this annual event,”  shared Assistant Superintendent of Educational Services, Sheila McCabe.  “All of our participating students have a great time demonstrating their soccer skills thanks to the hard work and dedication of our Adaptive PE teachers.”