Homecoming festivities bring winners to the field

Photo by Amy-Leigh Barnard on Unsplash

Armijo names its royalest Royals, chooses class skit winners.

Hundreds of students, alumni and staff members enjoyed a night of fun on Friday, September 30, when the Armijo Royals faced the Vanden Vikings at the annual Football Homecoming celebration.

There were lots of exciting things going on besides the football game and winners were to be had at every turn. Unfortunately, for the main event, the winners of the football game were the opposing teams. The Royals Varsity team was outscored 42-6 and the Junior Varsity team lost 40-0, even though both teams put up a fight and worked really hard.

The celebrations did not begin on Friday night. During Homecoming Week, Leadership students encouraged students to dress-up in the magical Disney-esque theme and prepared to wow the audiences with their skits at half-time of the Varsity game. The seniors took first place with their Teen Beach Movie theme; freshman came in second with High School Musical; then the juniors nailed the third place spot when they performed Camp Rock; and finally the sophomores showed the audience their stuff with Descendants. Each class brought out their best dance moves and creativity and there was a lot of spirit in the stands.

Of course, everyone was excited to meet the newest members of the Homecoming Court, a tradition that has passed down from generation to generation. Each class was well represented. The freshman prince and princess were Ricardo Brambila Herrera and Mariza Supapo; the sophomores were honored with Prince Demauriae Ross and Princess Mia Cruz; the Class of 2024 was led by Prince Caden Magno and Princess Jazlyn Basa.

Josh Rusit and Victoria Vera were crowned prince and princess of the senior class, but the big winners were Queen Marian Supapo and King Melissa Montano.

After all of the games and events on Friday, including a few last-minute promposals, people went home with the anticipation of the big dance on Saturday night, an event that was moved to the boneyard space near the parking lot due to the structural damage of the gymnasium earlier in the week.