2017-2018 ASB Student of Relations: Christina Delmendo

Hi fellow Armijo students, my name is Christina Delmendo and I am running for ASB. Some characteristics about me is that I am hard-working, organized, and determined to get the job done. I am currently involved in track, key club, and IB, and while I will have a lot on my plate next year as well, serving as an ASB officer for the school will be one of my top priorities. For the next school year, I hope to put on a lot of events for the school, which will attract interest from all of the students at Armijo and make Armijo an enjoyable place for all of us. Count on me as one of your next ASB officers to make the school year great!!

Other important characteristics about me:

One of the most important characteristics about me is my determination to get the job done. In order to get the job done, I can work well under pressure or under another stressful situation to problem solve. Next year I will be going for the IB diploma, in cross country and track, and involved in key club and poetry club, in addition to leadership and hopefully ASB. I will have a lot on my plate, but I do well with staying organized and learning how to prioritize deadlines and things that need to be done. Another characteristic is my ability to lead groups. In past committees that I was a committee head and ran sub-committees, my main objective for the whole sub-committee was to blend in more with the whole group, where I do not come off as the one in charge, but when needed to, I can step up to make sure the job gets done.

How do you plan to stay connected to students to make sure their voices are heard?

I am a really big fan of the House of Representatives, where the students from each class come to a meeting to be notified of upcoming school events, and also a way for the students to speak their voice and opinion. Also, the house of representatives will get the opportunity to grow as leaders/individuals without being in the program. A new idea that I want to implement next year to stay in communication with the students around Armijo is to have a “leadership mailbox” right outside of AG-5 on the blue fence where the students can drop in questions or ideas they have and their name and school gmail on it so we can answer the questions they have. The majority of the students at Armijo know that AG-5 is the leadership room, but going into the room could be intimidating and overwhelming by the amount of people in the classroom. This will be another way for them to communicate with us, that is not face-to-face, and will probably allow for more ideas.

What, in your opinion, are the three most important issues facing the students at Armijo High School and how will you address them?

One of the most important issues facing the students at AHS is implementing their ideas and increasing their confidence to propose new ideas to the leadership program, regardless if they are actually in the program or not. Two ways to allow their voices to be heard is continuing the house of representatives and staying consistent with the monthly meetings, and then the idea of the leadership mailbox. At the meetings, the students can propose new ideas from the people in their classes, and then the mailbox can be semi-anonymous to submit responses. Improving the communication between leadership and the students will also address another one of the issues at armijo: the perception of leadership. The most common perception I hear about leadership is that we are all a big clique and isolate ourselves from the rest of the school. The students will be able to feel like we care about their ideas and therefore, they will want to participate in our events. When it comes to the physical environment of the campus, it is not too bad, but there is a good amount of trash and litter around campus. As a leadership class, we could do a campus clean-up 1-2 times a month and when the students notice that there is a change, they will ask around and will realize that it was completed by us.

What are your top priorities for the position?

One of my top priorities as an ASB officer is to make the class structure and objectives to have a more equal balance with event planning and leadership development skills. Using the meeting starters, we are able to create them that are either meaningful or simply for entertaining purposes. While the fun meeting starters are enjoyable to watch and gives the class “a break” sometimes, I find a lot of value into meeting starters that have a deeper meaning and will hopefully impact all of the students in their future. I want to enforce the tardy policy and the start time of leadership because the first 20 minutes of the class is very valuable.