Stepping out of her comfort zone

Senior Spotlight – Lucia Holmboe

A student of many passions, Lucia Holmboe embraces them to make her last year of high school one to remember.

After COVID-19 halved her high school career, senior Lucia Holmboe intends to make the most of her remaining time. “[The pandemic] definitely made me want to get involved with school activities more in my senior year,” Holmboe said. “During my freshman year I didn’t go to many events unless it was through an organization I was already a part of, but I tried to change that during junior year and hope to continue that through the rest of senior year.”

Holmboe has already made several memories in activities around campus. Music holds a special place in her heart as she attributes most of her favorite memories to band. She marches for Armijo’s Superband in the fall and participates in the mallet ensemble in winter. “Going to competitions, setting up events, and generally being a part of the program has led to a lot of great memories over the past few years,” she said.

Her biggest piece of advice to new students is to try and step out of their comfort zone. She advises students to join activities that interest them and go to after school events with friends. Since COVID, clubs and other organizations on campus have yet to bounce back from a decline in membership. As Armijo Key Club’s vice president and a member of the International Club, Holmboe has firsthand experience of how clubs can really enhance a student’s high school experience.

Outside of school, she taps into her love for the outdoors and the environment. “I love to travel and would love to be able to do it more after high school,” she said. “Going to the beach, hiking, and generally spending time outside is also something I love.” While she intends to attend a UC (preferably UC San Diego, Merced, or Los Angeles), she is undecided on her major. Holmboe did add that she would love to incorporate some form of environmental work into her future career.