The top university in the world is ancient

College Focus – University of Oxford

Image by marlon rondal from Pixabay

This university is possibly over 1,000 years old.

Are you on the search for a university that is outside the country? How about one that is ranked #1 in World University Rankings 2022? Then this is the place for you!

The University of Oxford is one of the oldest universities in the English-speaking world, with some evidence that points that teaching here began around 1096. It is located in the center of the medieval city of Oxford, as the name suggests, and is defined by the fact that it has the youngest population out of any city in England or Wales. Something interesting about Oxford University is that it does not a main campus, but its building and facilities are scattered throughout the whole city

Oxford University comprises 44 colleges and halls, as well as more than 100 libraries, which makes it one of the largest library systems in the UK. Additionally, there is a range of academic departments, all which are all organized into four divisions. Undergraduate and graduate studies are offered here, and are composed of courses in Languages & Literature, Natural Sciences, Art & Music, Medical Sciences, Philosophy, Physical Sciences, History, Mathematics, and everything related to people and society.

For international students who want to apply to the University of Oxford, which includes you since you are from the US, you need to make sure that the university accepts your international qualifications, which basically means that you are on track to achieve the grades that are required for admission.

Additionally, make sure that you are taking the required subjects for the course you are planning to take at Oxford. All details of your qualifications, standardized test scores, and grades should be self-reported on the UCAS application form. Something that is not considered during the selection process is whether you take extra-curricular activities or not, unless it is relevant to the course you are applying for.

Make sure to be familiar and understand the general UK application process and other aspects that are particularly important and relevant to Oxford. One final, but very important point to make is that you need to be completely sure and certain about which course you are going to pick since you will be spending several years studying it, and will be very difficult to change later on.

There is a lot of financial support available for students to pay the cost of studying at Oxford University which can cover course fees and living costs, through loans. Students can apply for and receive two different government loans: tuition fee loans and maintenance loans.

Oxford is known for having a large number of notable alumni, who have deeply impacted the world throughout their work and in different areas, from politics and acting to mathematics and literature. Some are or have been Nobel Prize winners, Olympic medalists, UK Prime Ministers, modern world leaders, and more. Some of the more familiar names would include actors Hugh Grant and Rosamund Pike, scientists Stephen Hawking and Richard Dawkins, world leaders Bill Clinton and Indira Gandhi, writers Oscar Wilde and J.R.R. Tolkien, and many more.