Not pictured: Sydney Minns, Arsh Sharma, and Madison Kudsk

Club Corner: Junior Statesmen of America

Speak, shout, and share.

April 1, 2017

“I have learned how to be more fluent with words and convince others… JSA has taught me to better express myself,” said junior Jason Soriano.

The Junior Statesmen of America, more commonly known as JSA, is a student led organization led by high school students to acquire leadership skills and the knowledge necessary to be effective debaters and civic participants.

Through the club’s weekly meeting and outside conferences, Armijo students participate in debates, thought talks, problem solving, and activities to grow ability to analyse important issues.

Member Jordan Sabir said, “The events are really fun. I have met many interesting and cool people from JSA.”

I have met many interesting and cool people from JSA

— Jordan Sabir

“We debate about everything, from social and human rights to if schooldays be shorter, and even  whether pancakes or waffles are the superior breakfast food,” said sophomore Chloe Resgnit. JSA members attend conferences, learn about leadership, and strengthening their speaking skills through debates and speeches.

Member Terrell Wrice said, “I only joined this year, but it has helped me with my public speaking. It helped me to be less shy.”

At the most recent JSA conference, New Leaders, held at Sunnyvale, JSA members from Armijo learned about the history of the organization, the meaning of being a strong leader and the club, region, state, and national levels of Junior Statesmen of America positions.

In addition to attending conferences together, the JSA club also hosts potlucks to welcome new people and have opportunity to socialize. Samantha Burzynski said, “JSA is really special to me because we are close. We are good friends and when we go to conventions together, we have a lot of fun!”

We are there to have heated, passionate conversations

— Keaton Logsdon

Member Keaton Logsdon said, “Our main events are Fall State, Winter Congress, Spring State.  We go and meet with other chapters in the Golden State region. We have conventions where we debate about conventional subjects, taboos, and hold fun events. We are there to have heated, passionate conversations”

Currently, the Junior Statesmen of America is home to 11 members. If you are interested, you are encouraged to join a meeting during Thursday’s in T-4, Mr. Jordan’s classroom.