Suisun Elementary students shine

Suisun, CA – For the past several years, fifth grade students from Suisun Elementary have raised money for end of the year celebrations by selling “buddy grams” for Valentine’s Day. Under the guidance of student leadership, the fifth grade class transformed this year’s event into a community service project designed to support neighbors in need.

Led by fifth grade student leaders, Fernanda Rios and Jeremiah Rabara, students and staff worked together to collect hygiene items in the week leading up to Valentine’s Day. In exchange for dropping off donations, students were given a buddy gram to send to a friend. The grams that are short messages expressing friendship and kindness were delivered to classes on Monday, February 14.

Suisun Elementary Principal Ann-Marie Neubert was impressed with the student-led community service project. She said, “Our students and staff are amazing! Not only did they come up with the idea to serve our community, but they organized, publicized, and worked together. They truly embody the core values of Suisun Elementary.”

In total, Suisun Elementary fifth grade students collected over 740 hygiene products. They delivered the items to the Kroc Center, their neighbor and community partner, on March 17. The Kroc Center will help to distribute to the Suisun residents in need.

Suisun Elementary is an elementary school in the Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District. The school serves approximately 550 students in grades TK-5.