This college is a laughing matter

College Focus – Columbia College

https://my.ccis.edu/

While it looks intimidating, it hides some secrets of humor.

Do you think you have a knack for making people laugh? Have you considered pursuing comedy at a high educational level? Well then, this is the right place for that aspiring comedian!

Columbia College is a private art college located in Chicago, Illinois, founded in 1890. However, it should not be confused with Ivy League Columbia University, as they are two completely different places and are not affiliated.

Columbia College offers more than 60 undergraduate and graduate degree programs, as well as majors and minors in many subjects such as acting, marketing, and literature. Something very important to mention is that Columbia College is the host institution of other affiliated organizations focused on education, culture, and research. These include the Center for Black Music Research; the Center for Book and Paper Arts; the Center for Community Arts Partnerships; the Dance Center of Columbia College; and the Museum of Contemporary Photography. All of this information can be found in more detail here: www.colum.edu.

We’re talking in a very general scope, in terms of what majors and careers this college has to offer, but you’re in luck, dear reader, as Columbia College has a separate section dedicated to comedy. The top-ranked Comedy Writing and Performance bachelor’s degree program is offered, which provides “a strong emphasis on writing, the program pushes you to take creative risks and experiment regularly, giving you space to hone your creative voice. By the time you graduate, you’ll be ready for a career in comedy.” Students will be trained in all of the aspects that exist in performance and production, the role that comedy plays in society is also studied, as well as what makes people laugh and why.

Columbia College also offers a semester-away experience in Los Angeles, where students can do an internship with a Hollywood organization, network with industry insiders, and gain insight on the business of screenwriting and sitcom development with professionals.

According to US News, the acceptance rate for Columbia College Chicago is 90%, which is considerably less selective than many schools. Additionally, around half of the applicants admitted had an SAT score between 950 and 1170, as well as an ACT score between 20 and 27. A student’s GPA is a very important factor that is taken into consideration, as well as class rank and letters of recommendation. The application deadline for the fall semester is June 30, so you still have time to apply (https://www.columbiacollege.ca/deadlines/). The application fee is $25.

Columbia College is ranked at #88 in Regional Universities Midwest, which is a relatively good position. Tuition here is around $28,000, which is cheaper compared to the national average cost of over $40,000. Keep in mind the cost of tuition and fees, as well as the cost of room and board, books and supplies, transportation and personal expenses, which may increase the total. But financial aid is available for students, which can come in the form of student grants, loans, and scholarships. You can also fill out the FAFSA form, which is recommended by many experts, as every year, thousands of dollars are being unclaimed by students.

Some of the most notable alumni from Columbia College include American actor and comedians Andy Richter and Aidy Bryant, American actress, producer, and screenwriter Lena Waithe, and American television personality and game show host Pat Sajak.