Twins that are there for each other

Sibling Spotlight: Vanessa and Fernando Vidales

Emily Torres Maravilla

Vanessa Vidales is glad to be back in person

Because Vanessa and Fernando Vidales are twins, they’ve shared a lot over the years, including their school campuses, including Crystal Middle School and Armijo High School. “I think the best thing having my brother on campus with me is knowing that he’s always here for me to go to if anything went wrong or anything like that,” said Vanessa.

Having someone to go to is good, but Vanessa also finds that her brother often knows too much. She said that she felt he was sometimes nosy and, if he saw her doing something questionable, he would tell their parents, so she isn’t able to keep too many secrets. But that has the potential to go both ways.

Fernando Vidales

They are both juniors, but only share one class together – fifth period Spanish with Mr. Xavier Arcia. They also both have Ms. Kirsten Tomko for math, although during different times. Otherwise, they are able to go about their business without sharing teachers or classes this year.

Things were challenging with Distance Learning, but being on campus has been very rewarding. “I like it better in person,” Vanessa said. It’s “easier for me and it hasn’t affected my experience here at Armijo.” The siblings had to spend their tenth grade year at home, so a return to campus after the disruption in ninth grade has been a welcome change.

Things at home have been busy as Fernando and Vanessa have two older brothers as well. One is 21 years old and the other is 26. She said that her brothers would probably say she was really funny and that she’s always telling dumb jokes. “They always tell me that,” she said.

So many careers appeal to Vanessa, whose favorite hobby is dancing. Fernando was unavailable for an interview.