Living up to her dreams in high school and beyond

Senior spotlight: Michaella Leigh Villas

Emily Torres Maravilla

Even a mask can’t hide Michaella’s smile at AHS.

Michaella Leigh Villas  started attending Armijo as a freshman and, even though she was not able to be on campus for a year, she has not wasted her time as an Armijo Royal. “I’ve been involved on campus through programs such as cheer and leadership,” she said. “These programs are what I’m going to miss the most because they’ve really made my high school experience what it is today.

“Some advice I would give to students starting at Armijo is to just have fun and make the most of ALL the years of your high school experience because it will go by so fast.”

COVID-19, and the Distance Learning that resulted, impacted Villas in both positive and negative ways, though. She had to suspend some of her hobbies, for instance, like shopping. But she was able to help take care of her younger brother Michael, who is currently six, and she could still spend time doing nails.

“The positive that came out of [COVID] was time to self-reflect and take a break from the busy world, but, the negatives would include seeing how everything can be taken away from you in an instant. This realization has encouraged me to live my senior year to the fullest as it’s not guaranteed to be here tomorrow,” she said.

“If I could change one thing about Armijo is the environment. People are not very motivated and don’t seem to take initiative, overall just giving out negative energy.” The campus would be better if others could take advantage of the opportunities like Villas has, but she only has a few more months to enjoy the experience.

“I would have to say my favorite [memory] so far has been the last football game of my senior year which included all cheer and football seniors, including myself, being commemorated for their efforts and accomplishments,” she said.

Villas has big dreams for her future. “I plan to attend college at the University of Hawaii at Manoa and major in Nursing. When I’m finished with schooling, I plan to be a pediatric registered nurse.” She’s been encouraged by her parents and her coaches, those who she sees as role models. “They always push me to do better,” she said.