Since 1972, this school has been part of the system

College Focus: San Francisco State

This campus was guiding students long before it became part of the system.

Would you like to go to a college that is close to home, but where you can enjoy a vibrant and beautiful city on the coast? Then San Francisco State University, or SF State, this is the place for you! SF State is a public university that was founded in 1899. It obtained its State College status in 1921, and finally its State University status in 1972. It is part of the 23-campus California State University system.

SF State offers 118 different bachelor’s degrees, 94 master’s degrees, five doctoral degrees, and 26 teaching credentials that are among six academic colleges. Those six colleges are College of Liberal Arts & Creative Arts, Lam Family College of Business, College of Education, College of Ethnic Studies, College of Health and Social Sciences, and finally College of Science and Engineering. Each academic college offers a different area of study that ranges from astronomy and astrophysics to philosophy and political science.  All of this information can be found here: www.sfsu.edu

According to US News, the acceptance rate for SF State is around 84%, which is somewhat selective. Additionally, around half of the applicants had an SAT score between 930 and 1130, or an ACT score in between 16 and 23. A student’s GPA is an important factor that is taken into consideration, but high school rank and letters of recommendation are not.

The application deadline was November 30, with a fee is $70, but don’t let that discourage you. If you missed it this year, you can share this information with an underclassman you know that might be interested, or you can mark your calendar to be better prepared for next year.

San Francisco State University is ranked at #29 in Regional Universities West, which is a good position. In-state tuition and fees are around $7,500 and out-of-state tuition is just under $20,000. Keep in mind the cost of tuition and fees, as well as the cost of room and board, books and supplies, transportation and personal expenses. But financial aid is available for students, which can come in the form of student grants, loans, and scholarships. You can also fill out the FAFSA form, which is recommended by many experts, due to the fact that thousands of dollars are being unclaimed by students, and it doesn’t take much time to fill out.

Some of the most notable alumni from SF State include American actor and film director Danny Glover, American actress Annette Bening, American actress and comedian Alex Borstein, and American actor BD Wong.