Coach looks toward “normal” season

Coach Feature – Golf: Coach Stoll

Emily Torres Maravilla

Coach Stoll is happy to lead the boys in an outdoor sport that he loves.

While Coach Christian Stoll has spent ten years on the basketball court – five coaching the girls and five with the boys – this is only his second year on the golf course with the Royals. “Getting outside is great” and Coach Stoll enjoys “seeing players who have never really played before come out to try something new.”

Due to COVID-19, his first season coaching golf was very short, but there were six kids who made it a great season. He said that the one improvement he would like to see on the campus would be a practice golf range behind the library. This would improve the campus and add visibility to the sport, perhaps drawing in more potential players.

Coach Stoll is an English teacher, but he started coaching because a friend asked for his help as an assistant basketball coach and he loved the excitement. “I became very passionate about coaching and working with students who are passionate about sports,” he said.

Coaching golf was a natural progression. “I have played golf for many years,” he said. “I even got down to about a 6 handicap in my mid-twenties.” While he didn’t play the sport for his own high school team, he was a student athlete, playing both basketball and baseball. “I like to play all sports,” he said, and he also likes to hang out with friends, go to the beach, and spend time with his daughters, ages 12 and 8, who are into gymnastics.