NHS brings new experiences to help “Restore the Roar”

Club Focus – National Honor Society

The+National+Honor+Society+strives+for+strengthening+community+relations+

The National Honor Society strives for strengthening community relations

According to their website, the National Honor Society (NHS) “elevates a school’s commitment to the values of scholarship, service, leadership, and character. These four pillars have been associated with membership in the organization since its inception in 1921.”

Armijo hosts one of the NHS chapters that can be found throughout the United States and around the world, focusing on both student achievement and community engagement.

According to the website, “NHS students and their peers volunteer in their communities at the highest rates and make connecting with and serving within the community a priority. Chapters around the world participate in community service in a variety of ways, including donating time and money to important causes.

NHS is dedicated to recognizing and encouraging outstanding high school students in grades 10-12. Freshmen are not allowed to join NHS, and members are responsible for paying dues on time, turning in an application, and having a non-weighed grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0. Over one semester, members have to complete 10 hours of community service.

NHS  recently celebrated its’ centennial anniversary. “Under the leadership of Dr. Edward Rynearson, principal of the Fifth Avenue High School in Pittsburgh, the organization grew from the original Alpha Chapter at the Fifth
Avenue School to more than 1,000 chapters by 1930. Equipped with a constitution, an emblem and motto, and a group of dedicated principals as coordinators, the new NHS organization quickly developed into one of the country’s leading educational groups,” according to https://www.nhs.us/.

The Armijo chapter of NHS meets on Thursdays at lunch in B-1. For more information, contact the adviser, Ms. Kirsten Tomko, at [email protected] or stop by her classroom for a meeting to learn more about what the members are involved with this semester.