Stand out with a college that stands out

College Focus: Oberlin College

Are you on the hunt for a private, liberal arts college that is out of the state and has a strong music program? Then this is the place for you! Oberlin College was established on September 2, 1833 and is located in Oberlin, Ohio. It is the oldest coeducational liberal arts college in the United States.

Oberlin is divided in two: a College of Arts & Sciences and a Conservatory of Music. Students can enroll in either one or both, under the five-year Double-Degree program. The College of Arts & Sciences offers students over 50 majors, minors, and concentrations, from English to Politics. All of this information can be found here: http://oberlin.edu.

According to US News.com, the acceptance rate for Oberlin College is 35%, as they are more selective. Around half of the applicants had an SAT score in between 1270 and 1450, as well as an ACT score in between 28 and 33. The applicant’s GPA score is very important, as well as class rank, and letters of recommendation. The application deadline is January 15, so if you were planning on making the cut for fall of 2022, you’ve probably missed the opportunity. If you are not a senior, or if you are taking a gap year, be sure to make note of this deadline date for future reference.

Oberlin College ranked at #37 in National Liberals Arts Colleges, which is a very good spot. Additionally, the tuition to attend is around $60,000, which is more than the national average cost of tuition. Keep in mind the cost of tuition and fees, as well as the cost of room and board, books and supplies, transportation and personal expenses. Financial aid is available for students, which can come in the form of student grants, loans, and scholarships. You can also fill out the FAFSA form, which is recommended by many experts, as every year, thousands of dollars are being unclaimed by students.

Some of the most notable alumni from Oberlin College include American actor and comedian Ed Helms, African-American activist Mary Church Terrell, American actress and filmmaker Lena Dunham, and last African-American abolitionist and politician John Mercer Langston.