Congressman Garamendi tours Suisun Valley K-8 school

Suisun+Valley+K-8+students+%28Annelise%2C+CJ%2C+Oziel%29+led+Congressman+John+Garamendi+%28D-CA+3rd+District%29+on+a+tour+of+the+newly+renovated+campus.+

Suisun Valley K-8 students (Annelise, CJ, Oziel) led Congressman John Garamendi (D-CA 3rd District) on a tour of the newly renovated campus.

FAIRFIELD, CA- Students at one Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District (FSUSD) school provided Congressman John Garamendi with their version of a farm to table experience on Thursday.

Congressman Garamendi (D-CA 3rd District) recently toured Suisun Valley K-8 school and was treated with a visit to the school’s garden, innovation lab, and had a chance to chance to sample the parsley pesto students made in honor of the visit.

“We appreciate Congressman Garamendi taking the time to visit us and experience the educational and real-world skills we are building with the dragon community,” Suisun Valley K-8 Principal Jas Bains-Wright said. “Students have the opportunity to grow food from our garden and then take that food to our innovation lab and turn it into a delicious meal.”

Suisun Valley K-8 is a thematic school in FSUSD that aligns its curriculum and instruction with other career technical education programs in the District. Under the guidance of Principal Bains- Wright and the Dragon staff, Suisun Valley K-8’s focus is agricultural science.

CJ and Annelise provided Garamendi with the tour where they showcased the garden producing an abundance of various plants and vegetables. Oziel also showed Garamendi around the newly renovated campus and finished in the innovation lab where teacher Heather Merodio and students were making pesto sauce with parsley.

Congressman Garamendi shredded carrots with students and then tasted the dish. “This is such a wonderful opportunity for Suisun Valley K-8 staff and students to showcase what they do here and for us as a district to show Congressman Garamendi how we are preparing students for the future,” FSUSD Superintendent Kris Corey said. “We know how much education means to Congressman Garamendi, and we appreciate his work to expand science-related jobs and careers.”