Students enjoy several activities in December

Ms. Walling-Sisi

Students enjoyed a fun and social evening at that Winter Carnival.

The week before winter finals, Armijo shined bright in SO many ways!

On Wednesday, December 8, Armijo had its first choir performance  in some time. Ms. Denise Hunter did an outstanding job with the students and gave them the spotlight! There were about 80 people in attendance to watch the performances that included eight choir songs and three solo acts that were amazing. “The program is off to a good start and I strongly recommend staff to check out the next show!” said Mr. Casey Towner, Leadership adviser.

Thursday, December 9, the campus sponsored the annual Special Olympics Basketball event. All of the schools in the district came together to give our Special Education (SpEd) students a chance to compete and have their moment. Over 100 athletes participated. This is only possible because of our dedicated staff in our SpEd department. All teachers, paraeducators, specialists, and volunteers who helped out made the event so special and successful deserve a big thank ou. It truly makes the difference.

We had our first ever winter carnival on Friday. There were over 300 students in attendance to hang out and celebrate the holiday season. Teachers that were asked to volunteer  and many, including Ms. Kirsten Tomko,  Mr. Rahil Malli, Ms. Vanessa Walling-Sisi, Mr. Javier Zaragosa, Ms. Kaitlyn Hernandez, and Mr. Chris Hill. Mr. Towner shared a big thank you to all of these teachers who already have served their Adjunct hours and came to support fun for the sake of fun.

The event was a huge success and students had many positive things to say. Although the nighttime custodian crew was shorthanded, they worked hard to clean up the annex after the event, and the work of Mr. Tommie Phillips and Mr. Justin Ensele is greatly appreciated. They put in a lot of effort to give students opportunities to attend these events.

Our Theater program is SPECTACULAR! Ms. Sheena Beeson put on six shows in the first half of December. “I took in two shows this time around and both nights I was very entertained,” said Mr. Towner. It is great to see our students successfully perform on the stage, but it is even better to see them coming together after the last show and show so much love for one another and the program.

Ms. Beeson does such a good job creating a positive environment for these students to be successful. The students did a fantastic job with the shows this year!

Ms.  Renee Deger, Yearbook adviser, was at ALL of these events and sports, getting photos for the yearbook! “Huge shout out to her for her hard work. Also shout out to our Administrative team who have been covering these many events along with sports night in and night out!” said Mr. Towner.

Our principal, Mr. Charleston Brown, mentioned finishing the semester strong. Mr. Towner said, “I saw amazing things from so many staff members and students on campus last week and I am proud to work at Armijo with many motivated positive people. I hope this message helps you finish strong!”