When the name fits…

All in a Name – Dulce (Sweet)

Emily Torres Maravilla

Dulce’s name reflects her personality.

In Spanish, the name Dulce means Sweet. Dulce Marie Bernal knows that all too well. “My mother chose that name for the Virgin Mary, which in Spanish would be “La Virgen Maria”, and she added Dulce to the name, so it would mean “sweet Mary”, as a way to honor her,” she said.” I don’t think I would change my name for anything in the world, since it has an important significance and because I think it’s unique, in its own way.”

Bernal isn’t the only one in her family with a beautifully religious name. “My mother’s name is Gloria, which means glory in Spanish, and my grandmother had that name, too.”

The name Dulce is not very common. According to Considerable.com, only about 815 babies were given that name in 2005. “I have not met anyone with that name yet, which makes me think it’s not very common,” said Bernal. “But I would definitely like to meet someone who shares my name, and ask them the history of how they got their name.

“People sometimes have a little trouble pronouncing my name, since it’s in Spanish, but usually most of them acknowledge that it means ‘sweet’.”

Bernal is grateful to be back on campus after a difficult year of Distance Learning, “even if we are still using face masks, and can’t see everyone’s faces,” she said. “But the feeling of walking on campus, being in the classroom and seeing everyone is great and comforting at the same time.”

She’s not just on campus, but she is involved in International Club and writes for The Armijo Signal, “which were two huge steps out of my comfort zone, but I am glad to have done so, as it’s very rewarding,” said Bernal.

After she graduates, she plans to go to college to study something in the mathematical field or philosophy. “My ideal job would be one where I can grow, where I do what I like, where I’ll be excited to go to work every day, and where I can help as many people as possible, throughout my job,” she said.

In the end, Bernal had some sweet advice to share with other students: “Follow your dreams and ambitions, no matter how hard they are to reach. You are in charge of your own destiny and your own life. Who said life was easy? But we have to overcome those obstacles, those insecurities, fears, and mental blocks, to step out of that dark, in order to shine. Find what truly makes you passionate in life, and follow that path. You deserve to live a life, where at the end of your journey, you can say, ‘I feel accomplished, happy, and proud of the life I’ve lived.’ It’s not how long you’ve lived that’s important, but how you lived your life. Carpe diem, seize the day!”