Future chefs and bakers, apply here!

College Focus: Culinary Institute of America

Although close to Napa, this campus has an old-school feel.

CIA

Do you love cooking? Is it one of your life passions? Then you should consider pursuing it at a higher level, at the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone, in California. It is a branch campus of the private culinary college, the Culinary Institute of America (CIA). It is located in St. Helena, a city in Napa County, which is convenient, since it’s close to home, so it won’t be as difficult to travel. The institute in St. Helena was established in 1995, and is a suburban campus, with its primary facility being a stone building.

CIA at Greystone offers various associates degrees and two certificate programs in Culinary Arts, as well as Baking and Pastry Arts. A good thing to know is that the institute has three branches, all of which are located in the United States. There is one in California, which is our focus, one in Rye, New York and another in San Antonio, Texas, so if you want to study out-of-state, you have two other options. All of this information can be found in more detail here: ciachef.edu/.

According to CollegeSimply.com, the acceptance rate for the CIA in New York is around 98%. They are not very competitive and you have a higher chance of being accepted. Additionally, around half of the applicants had an SAT score in between 960 and 1190, as well as an ACT score in between 18 and 24. The applicant’s GPA is also very important. The university looks at that when accepting students, as well as class rank and letters of recommendation. The application fee is $50. Keep in mind that these numbers and requirements will also be similar if you choose to go to Texas or California.

Studying out-of-state is more expensive than studying in the state in which you live, so the California location would be a financial benefit. The costs of room and board, books and supplies, and transportation should be considered, however, wherever you decide to study. Financial aid is available for students at CIA, which can be in the form of student grants, loans, and scholarships. Additionally, you could also fill out the FAFSA form, which is recommended by many experts, as every year, thousands of dollars are being unclaimed by students.

Some of the most notable alumni from the Culinary Institute of America include Anthony Bourdain, Roy Choi, Richard Blais, Morgan Harvey, and Anne Burrell.