A lifetime of experience shared

Coach Feature – Alexis Ascher, tennis

Photo by Todd Trapani on Unsplash

Coaching has given Alexis a different perspective.

For two years, Armijo alumna Alexis Ascher has worked alongside her father, Coach Adam Ascher, to help the Armijo Girls’ Tennis team improve their game, but that’s not the only time that she is on the courts.

Ascher, a UC Davis student and DoorDash driver, also spends time as a tennis coach for children. She has a heart for the sport. “I became a coach because I loved the team when I played for Armijo and want to help others enjoy it as much as I did,” she said. She also plays for Green Valley Country Club and is currently part of an 18+ United States Tennis Association (USTA) Adult League in Vacaville. “This summer, my team placed second in Sectionals,” said Ascher.

While she has played ever since she was little, she said that she didn’t take the sport seriously until she was a freshman in high school. “I started training hard and quit soccer to focus on tennis,” she said. “In high school, we were MEL champions all four years that I played.”

“Going into coaching has been a great experience and I recommend it because it feels good to give back, and it also makes you such a better player,” she said. “You’re able to experience the sport from a different perspective.”

She and her father are very competitive, but her family connections go even further. “My aunt, and Dad’s sister, coaches for Vacaville High School so there’s a lot of rivalry here in the MEL,” said Ascher. And in sports, competition is key.