Two players that work great together

Athlete Focus – Doubles team Hernandez & Peralta

When two people play as a team in tennis, it brings in a dynamic that is different from playing as a single athlete against a single opponent. There is the need to understand each other on a different level, including past experiences. Alejandra Hernandez and LunaBella Peralta are a perfect example of a well-matched pair.

Alejandra Hernandez (Emily Torres Maravilla)
LunaBella Peralta (Emily Torres Maravilla)

“My doubles partner is a strength because she has a good eye in judgment about calling a ball out or hers to play,” said Hernandez. “I hold my racket with my left hand so her being right-handed gives a balance in a unique way.”

“I’m so glad to have a doubles partner because we work together to manage the whole court,” Peralta said. “She definitely enhances my game because, without her, I would have to use a lot more energy to cover the court.”

Both players approach the game with the same level of experience. Hernandez, who came to Armijo as a sophomore, wanted to make friends on campus and found this sport to be the ideal choice.

Peralta first chose to be part of the team as a way to avoid a PE class her sophomore year. “I didn’t know that I would end up loving the sport and participating until my last year,” she said. “Before Armijo, I hadn’t played for any other team or club so it was my first experience.”

Naturally, there were some adjustments to be made last season, as Distance Learning had an impact on the timing. “COVID made it difficult for me to see more consistent improvement since online school was a difficult adjustment… I was constantly distracted,” Hernandez said. Peralta, however, didn’t find it too much of a challenge.

Hernandez has committed herself to tennis, although she did play soccer for Fairfield High when she was a freshman, and for Armijo in her junior year. Like many tennis players, she’s also played badminton every spring since her sophomore year.

When she’s not on the court she likes to work with her hands. “I enjoy small hobbies like bracelet making, puzzles, and embroidery,” she said. “I also work on the weekends.”

Peralta, on the other hand, likes to focus on writing. “Outside of tennis, I’m the Events Editor of the Armijo Signal and, once I graduate, I hope to do something with writing as it’s one of my interests,” she said.

While she doesn’t plan to pursue tennis in college, Peralta said that she did wish that Armijo had an indoor tennis court “because it’s so extremely hot outdoors.”

“Getting involved in sports has no harm because if you find out you don’t like the sport, you at least know you have tried,” said Hernandez. “You will never have a regret or a “what if”. Chances are you will meet people who are not necessarily in your classes or grade but they will become people you enjoy and look forward to be with.” That seems to be the result for Hernandez who has made several strong memories with the team.

For those still on the fence about whether or not to pursue sports, Peralta suggested that student athletes “give it your best and remember that it’s okay if you don’t always win. Just put your best effort forth.” The memories that she has made, working individually and as a member of a doubles team, will last a lifetime and it is something for her to be proud of.