Meet your ASB President Daniela Gonzalez

Daniela is ready to do her part in getting the Armijo student body motivated for success.

Q: Why did you choose to go into student government? When did you start student government? How did you campaign?

A: I decided to go into student government because I’ve always been passionate about helping, encouraging and supporting others to be their best selves. I love making connections and being able to work with others to make every student, whether virtual or in person, know they have a say in the decisions for the betterment of our school. I wanted to create an environment where we all genuinely care, communicate and respect each other which is what I promoted in my campaign. I moved to the United States halfway through freshman year. It was a challenging phase in my life and it definitely took time for me to adapt to a different culture and learn a different language, but I was lucky that, since day one, I joined the Leadership family.  Leadership had a great impact on me finding my way here and I made it my priority to give back to the program that has given me so much.

Q: What do you do in your role? What is your title? Why were you interested in this position?

A: I am honored to hold the position of Associated Student Body (ASB) President for the 2021-2022 school year. As the ASB President, I am in charge of creating daily agendas, running class meetings, assisting classmates, supporting event chairs in Student Government as well as giving board presentations.

Q: Do you plan to continue student government in college?

A: I would love to!

Q: Besides student government, what else are you involved with (both at school and outside of school)? What are your hobbies? What do you want to do when you graduate (school plans and career goals)?

A: I founded — along with three other amazing students: Valeria Gonzalez, Sebastian Blanco and Elena Garcia — the Skate For Change Club at Armijo High that focuses on helping our homeless people and making an impact in our community. I am excited to announce I will be the president of this club for the 2021-2022 school year. I am also passionate about diversity and making everyone feel welcome and included, which is why I joined the International Club as well as the National Honor Society (NHS) and College & Career Club. I am a member of the Student Advisory Council and, last but not least, part of the Cheer Team. After I graduate, I want to pursue higher education at a UC and go into the engineering field.

Q: What advice would you give to someone contemplating on getting involved in student government?

A: Try everything because you never know what you’re going to be great at or what you’re genuinely passionate about. The memories you’ll create will stay with you forever; you just have to be willing to put yourself out there and learn along the way.

Q: Do you have any brothers or sisters (names and ages)? Who are your role models?

A: Valeria Gonzalez, 18 years old. She is definitely a role model and not only for me but also for many others. She graduated in the class of 2020 and was the ASB Vice President as well as the Student of the Year. She inspired and pushed me along the way to get to where I am today.  We are always there to support each other and I know I wouldn’t have been able to do it without her.

Q: If you could change one thing about Armijo (students, facilities, staff, etc.), what would it be and why?

A: The school environment. I believe how we take care of our campus is a representation of us, which is why as an ASB officer I would like to push to invest time and money on our school presentation and sanitation. Also our school spirit. We need to bring our school together and be proud of who we are and where we come from.

Q: What do you plan to do when you graduate? What will you major in? What career do you want to pursue?

A: I plan to be a chemical engineer and I am currently enrolled in the Pre-College Scholars Program at UC Berkeley to figure out if this is what I really like, so far, I am loving it.

Q: Anything else you would like to say?

A: This goes for everyone out there, if you ever need someone to talk to, please, don’t hesitate to reach out to me! (Click here for email).