Anyone is welcome to join!

Club focus: Filipino Club

Image by Jonathan Valencia from Pixabay

Filipino Club shares many aspects of the culture.

“The Filipino Club is a campus fellowship that is not exclusively for Filipino students, all students are welcome to join,” said Mr. Paul Meihaus, who is in his third year as the club’s adviser. The purpose of the club is “to provide fellowship for Filipino students on campus and others who are interested in learning more about Filipino Culture, and to engage in activities that promote outreach to needed causes in the community.”

The club has been very active in the past and looks forward to resuming their active calendar. ”We do fundraising with local restaurants as well as on campus and use the funds for disaster relief in the Philippines and to fund social events such as pot-lucks, after school game days, and other events,” Mr. Meihaus said.

The club has been around for at least a decade and, like most campus clubs, it is run by student officers: President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer.

During the pandemic, the club has been meeting on Thursdays at lunch, using this Google Classroom site:  https://meet.google.com/lookup/b76okb2ix3?authuser=0&hs=179.

When school is back in session, hopefully in the fall, Mr. Meihaus hosts the weekly meetings in B-6. “We can add you to our club roster,” he said. There are about 20 members currently on that roster. “Due to COVID, we will be making an effort to re-group and grow our core group of members,” said Mr. Meihaus.