Mendoza faces challenges during pandemic

Student Communications Officer – Adriana Mendoza

Adriana is committed to get news out in any way she can.

ID photo

Student Communications Officer Adriana Mendoza has been involved in student government since middle school. I’ve just always been someone who wanted to do more and be a part of something which is why I chose to go into it,” she said. Despite her experience, though, she’s not sure if this is the last role she’ll play in student government.

“I was given this position because I have many connections to different groups of people around campus so it would make it easier for me to spread news and try and get different people involved,” Mendoza said.

Connections around campus, though, weren’t enough during the pandemic. “I’d say COVID has affected my position… because communication has been a bit harder to do through emails,” she said. “We have a social media manager, but I still do the same things as all the others when it comes to in class leadership.”

Mendoza has her responsibilities in the Associated Student Body (ASB), but she is also a co-founder and secretary for the Skate for Change Club and played soccer at Armijo. “In my free time I like to bake or just hang out with my family,” she said. Her family includes her two brothers and her mother, who is her role model.

When I graduate I plan on going to community college and then transferring I’m not sure what career path or what I want to major in but I enjoy working with kids and special needs so perhaps I’ll take a path down one of those roads,” she said.

Being involved on campus is important to Mendoza and she would encourage others to consider becoming part of Leadership in the future. “Just go for it. It’ll definitely change your life,” she said.

“I enjoyed my time here at Armijo and I don’t think there’s anything I’d do differently,” said Mendoza. “I attended almost every event Armijo had to offer before COVID,which I’m glad because I don’t feel like I’m missing out on the high school experience.