You might have taken the Lexile test, but what is it?

Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash

You can use your Lexile reading score to find out where you stand on the scale. Read for more information!

Many schools use something called Lexile levels to determine what reading level and books are right for students. Students often go in to take a test every grading period.
The test is very similar to that of a reading or English test. After completing the test, students are given a number range that corresponds to a grade level of reading. The test accurately measures students reading level and gives them the room and encouragement to grow.
When selecting books, students can choose those at their actual reading level or maybe a little above. In a classroom setting, it is often a decision to teach a novel that may be too difficult for some but not challenging enough for others. In allowing choice, students can grow at their speed and level.
While there is a correlation between Lexile levels and grade levels, it based on ability and not physical age. “There is no direct correspondence between a specific Lexile measure and a specific grade level. Within any classroom or grade, there will be a range of readers and a range of reading materials. For example, in a fifth-grade classroom, some students will be ahead of the typical reader (about 250L above) and others will be behind (about 250L below). To say that some books are ‘just right’ for fifth-graders assumes that all students in fifth grade are reading at the same level” (lexialearning.com).
Lexile levels makes choosing the right book for individual students easier. Lexile levels range from 295L-1440L and each level has a range of around 330 points. Teachers are encouraged to help students increase their Lexile level by having them read books that are 50 Lexile points above their current level to help encourage students to increase their reading ability.
Are you reading something, or interested in reading something, and want to know what its Lexile level is? Check out Lexile.com for guidance at https://rb.gy/vvw5ua.