Pandemic puts plans on hold

Volunteer in the medical field

Melissa balances time for self and others regularly.

ID photo

Melissa Theodorus is an active member of the Class of 2022. In addition to her scholastic pursuits, Theodorus serves as the Editor-In-Chief of the Armijo Signal and contributes time volunteering at a local hospital. 

“Before March of 2020, I volunteered at NorthBay Medical Center every weekend for about four hours as a student volunteer,” she said. “I started volunteering my freshman year in October of 2018 and have since accumulated around 167 volunteer hours.” Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the hospital has not opened opportunities for volunteers, but Theodorus is hoping those opportunities reopen once everything settles down. 

“Since I was a kid, I have always thought about working in the medical field,” she said. “The summer before high school, I looked up opportunities that I could try out to experience more exposure in the medical field other than my occasional doctor’s visits.” Theodorus then came across what she was looking for, but because she wasn’t at the age requirement at the time, she had to wait before taking the opportunity. 

Eventually, after a long process, a door opened up for her, as she “…began wearing my [her] new scrubs in October,” she said. Though she did not know anyone in her family that was in the medical field, her older cousin, who also applied, was studying nursing. “Since she also volunteered, she drove us every Saturday, making it possible for me to start,” Theodorus said. 

Her volunteer position took on a nice rhythm. “I would usually start by checking in, putting my things into a locker, picking up a Vocera, and then walking around the hospital to see if anyone needs help with anything. I wear the Vocera on me at all times in case one of the units or the front desk needs a volunteer.” The Vocera is a communication device to keep employees and volunteers stay in contact with each other.

“When the hospital units call me, most of the time, it is to transport a lab sample or equipment to another part of the hospital. Typically, when the front desk calls, it implies that someone, usually a visitor, needs help getting somewhere in the hospital. Because the hospital is always changing with new wings adding, I walk with the visitors – or push them in wheelchairs – to their destination and make sure they get there safely. Before volunteering, we had to learn how to properly work the hospital wheelchairs during orientation because they weren’t like regular wheelchairs. In the Mother-Baby Unit, volunteers help families transition and leave the hospital. 

“One time, I delivered cups of water to the mothers. Other times, I stapled packets of documents and forms for the nurses. Sometimes I am asked to distribute updated patients’ ECG charts onto their designated folders in the ICU. When no one needed help at that moment, I usually restocked around the hospital. I try to make sure that the waiting rooms have up to date newspapers and magazines for visitors. At least one volunteer sits at the front desk helping to print visitor badges and welcome people into the hospital, but Saturdays usually have a few student volunteers.” 

Theodorus has gained many advantages through volunteering at the hospital. She’s gotten glimpses of what goes on in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) while restocking medical necessities. She’s witnessed the use of medical equipment “such as the ones used for surgery in the operation room,” she said, and she’s learned various medical procedures and scenarios. “You also adapt to the rules and standards of a clean environment.” Theodorus said.  

She has also learned the significance of patient privacy and running tasks properly so things can run smoothly. She has obtained cafeteria credits to pick different food in the cafe after volunteering for a certain amount of hours. One of the memorable factors she gained from interacting with the medical staff, patients, and visitors, as she heard interesting stories and received advice. “It is always nice to know that someone’s day is a little better when they have someone walking with them in the hospital halls,” Theodorus said. 

She met many people, especially other volunteers, who have planned to pursue in the medical field. Theodorus said, “Overall, the experience taught me to be quick on my feet in case someone rings for a volunteer or asks for help because everyone has a role for the hospital to run smoothly.”