After a full career, Mr. Williamson starts again

Noteworthy staff member: Mr. Jim Williamson

In 2018, Mr. Williamson decided to shift gears and become a para educator.

Before coming to Armijo in fall 2018, Mr. Jim Williamson, a Special Ed para, was at the Rodriguez High School’s Voc Ed program. “I am assigned to the FA (Functional Academics) program and provide support and assistance to special education teachers and, of course, students with special needs,” he said.

This isn’t his first job, though. After working for nearly 40 years in insurance, he retired as Senior Vice-President of Claims for a local insurance carrier. “In this capacity, I was the Chief Claims Officer, responsible for leadership and oversight in all aspects of the company’s claims operations and activities,” Williamson said.

After 40 years, it is as if he finally was following his passion. “My wife is a teacher and my undergraduate degree is in education, so upon my retirement, I was motivated to give back in a very meaningful way, and the best fit was to return to the education field, specifically, in special education.” It hasn’t been easy, with much of his new career being virtual with COVID-19.

Mr. Williamson attended Lakes High School in Tacoma, Washington before earning his Bachelor’s degree from Eastern Washington State College (now Eastern Washington University), in Cheney, Washington. He went on to earn an MBA at Saint Mary’s College in Moraga.

My older sister was a huge influence (on my becoming a teacher) as well as high school algebra and history teachers, several college professors, Kennedy, Lincoln and several leading economists,” he said.

With his in-class experience and his online connections, Mr. Williamson knows that a successful para needs to “have a passion for helping students with special needs and exercising understanding, patience and compassion for students with special needs.”

With that focus on mind, he said that he wishes that there was a way “To bring about a deeper understanding and acceptance of students with special needs” at Armijo.

Mr. Williamson has found time to enjoy music and plays bass guitar. He also enjoys drawing, reading, woodworking, house-projects and exercising. “Also, I enjoy riding my Vespa, antique hunting, BBQing, being with my wife, family and friends, he said. And “I am happy to be a part of the Armijo family!”