Herrera brings growth to Armijo clubs

Club focus: Lettuce Grow

Marissa McKinnon

Despite the shut-down, the garden has improved from when it was first planted. (Photo from September 2018)

For over 20 years, Ms. Sylvia Herrera has been teaching at Armijo, but for the past two years, she has made a name for herself by leading the garden club at Armijo. She has her own garden at home and knows how rewarding it can be.

Ms. Herrera was encouraged to start the club, known as Lettuce Grow, because she saw a need. “I thought it would be a nice way for students to learn about nutrition and the food cycle, and to change their eating habits,” she said.

According to Ms. Herrera, Lettuce Grow is a great way to help out with the community, to experience outdoor classes, and for students to get hands-on learning and meet other people who also like being outdoors.

In the first year, the club had about 20 members, although complications due to the pandemic have reduced the active members to seven.

“The pros about the garden club are that you get to learn how to start your own garden and grow pesticide free veggies… and all harvests go to Armijo families in need,” Ms. Herrera said

While it comes with its own rewards, it also comes with a lot of hard work. Participants are always digging, shoveling, and watering while constantly monitoring the progress of the crops. Although, it’s extra work, Ms. Herrera said that it’s worth it and she hopes students can return to helping out with the garden when on-campus learning resumes.