The first time was the charm

Athlete focus – Girls’ Water Polo

Milan misses her experiences with her water polo team.

Milan McCane was familiar with track, but she chose to get into Water Polo, even though she didn’t know how to swim. “It felt like a good opportunity to learn how while also finding something new to try out,” she said. “I’ve only played Water Polo in my freshman year, and it was a very new and fun experience for me. AHS is the only team I’ve played for.”

McCane went to the local championships and earned a plaque from her coach for Most Improved 2019 Girls’ Water Polo. She earned that accolade while mostly playing one of the two wings near the 2-meter line. This is the position that could help out the goalie. “When I was in eighth grade getting close to graduating, we had an assembly showcasing the new sports we’d be able to participate in for high school, and the sport that caught my attention the most was Water Polo.”

“Because of COVID, I haven’t been able to play, but even seeing my teammates hasn’t happened since the last season,” said McCane. “If there is a possibility though, I will try to join in spring. To be honest, I’d play in any season.” Her teammates are important to McCane. She said that, so far, her most memorable meet was at Sierra College when the girls’ team went out for food after their first game. They walked around Target just to have a Halloween dress-up competition and play hide and seek. “It was an experience that got me closer to the team, not to mention making me feel more confident in my games, knowing the team had my back.”

She would suggest potential athletes to keep that confidence in mind. “Do not let your fear, anxiety, or nervousness get in the way of something that could potentially become something new you love,” she said.

Playing water polo in high school is just a start. “Having physical activity be constant in my life has always been really important to me,” she said. “Whether water polo or any other sport I do, playing is something I really enjoy regardless of the weather.” However, it might not be as structured in college as it has been, and will be, in high school because she currently intends to focus on her academics. “My future will be determined on my performance; college sports just doesn’t seem as attainable as high school sports to me,” she said.

During this time of staying at home, McCane has enjoyed practicing one of her favorite hobbies, coloring and drawing. She also enjoys music and is considering becoming a singer-songwriter, so her future goals include getting into music school. “One of my role models is Lauren Jauregui because she’s an amazing singer-songwriter who puts so much passion into everything she does, while also being an activist who isn’t afraid of sharing her straight forward opinion on things that aren’t right,” she said.