Ms. Walling-Sisi helps with identity

Noteworthy staff member

Photo by Felicia Buitenwerf on Unsplash

Ms. Walling-Sisi leads two clubs that help students with this idea.

Ms. Vanessa Wailing-Sisi teaches English 12/ERWC and IB Theory of Knowledge. She is also the supervisor for not one, but two clubs at Armijo: International Club and Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) Club. She has been in charge of the International Club for 17 years and GSA for 15 years.

The International Club honors the diversity of our students, staff, and community alike. Members host fundraisers for international causes, as well as organize events that celebrate different cultures. This includes International Week, a weeklong festival of music and dance at school. International Club is a chance for students with different cultural backgrounds to share their traditions and feel proud of their heritage. “I have had students learn traditional dances from Thailand, India, and the Philippines who were not from that culture. Seeing students sharing, learning and appreciating each other’s traditions is beautiful,” Ms. Sisi said. The club also has the opportunity to host students from their “sister city” in Japan.

GSA Club was made as a safe and prideful space for LGBTQ+ youth, their allies, and families. The club serves to educate our school community about issues that affect the LGBTQ+ community and advocate for those who have faced such. Armijo’s GSA has partnered with the Fairfield Pride Center, which helps in the promotion of acceptance and well-being of all of students. One of the special events GSA plans is the Day of Silence. “Our annual Day of Silence is well attended and reminds us of the voices we aren’t hearing as a result of violence and intimidation,” Ms. Sisi wrote. “In GSA, I am always so pleased at the number of Armijo students and staff who support LGBTQ+ causes,” Sisi said, referring to the hundreds of rainbow ribbons we get to hand out and see pinned onto allies on campus.

This year will be a little bit different for clubs, but with teachers as passionate as Ms. Sisi, the celebration of students of all backgrounds and walks of life can be made, not only possible, but even more transformative than before. If you, or anyone you know, have interest in either of these clubs, you can email [email protected] or find her on campus in E-3 (if you so dare to venture into the unknown). Biweekly club meetings are announced in related articles in the Club section of The Armijo Signal.