Golden Bears offer rainbow option

College Focus

https://grad.berkeley.edu/news/student-life/sf-pride-parade/

UCB gives students a chance to learn about LGBT+.

Often noted as the best public university in the United States, the University of California Berkeley was established in 1868. It is the flagship campus of the UC system as well as the oldest. UC Berkeley is colloquially called “Cal” or “Berkeley.”  The colors unique to UC Berkeley are Berkeley Blue and California Gold. The university is set in an urban environment and owns 6,679 acres of land. Finally, most dear to the students’ hearts, the mascot of UC Berkeley is Oski the bear.

There are over 150 majors and minors offered at UC Berkeley and while many of them can be found at most large campuses, UC Berkeley offers an unusual minor: LGBT studies. The department of Gender and Women’s Studies offers a minor program in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender studies. This program called LGBT studies and works as a crucial category of analysis in the human body and social sciences. LGBT studies is not only about or for LGBT people. It also includes all humanity. “A large portion of the energy spent developing this field has been devoted to discovering (and recovering) the history, dynamics, and complexities of same-sex relationships,” according to guide.berkeley.edu.

Berkeley is an inclusive campus and their variety of subjects emphasizes that diversity.

Berkeley is a large, primarily residential research university with the majority of enrollment in undergraduate programs. However, it also offers a comprehensive doctoral graduate program. There is no medical school but a joint program with UCSF is offered. The university is one of only two UC campuses operating on a semester calendar. Berkeley offers 106 Bachelor’s degrees, 88 Master’s degrees, 97 research-focused doctoral programs, and 31 professionally focused graduate degrees. Berkeley’s 130-plus academic departments and programs are organized into 14 colleges and schools, in addition to UC Berkeley Extension.

Freshman admission is selective but there are high rates of students transferring in. The acceptance rate was 16.8% in 2019. Average SAT scores ranged from 1270 – 1530 for English and Math combined, and the unweighted GPA average was 3.89. Students and prospective students of Berkeley are eligible for an assortment of public and private financial aid.

The student life inside Berkeley is exciting and the traditions are fascinating. Berkeley is primarily involved in the NCAA Division 1 Pacific-12 Conference when it comes to athletics. Previously, live cubs were used as “Oski” at Memorial Stadium. It was then decided in 1940 that a costumed mascot would be a better alternative to the live bear. Named after the “Oski-wow-wow” yell, the costumed person is cared for by the Oski committee, whose members have exclusive knowledge of the identity of the costume-wearer.

The UC Rally Committee, formed in 1901, is the official guardian of California’s Spirit and Traditions. Wearing their traditional blue and gold rugbies, Rally Committee members can be seen at all major sporting and spirit events. Also, overlooking the main Berkeley campus from the foothills in the east, The Big “C” is an important symbol of Cal school spirit.

UC Berkeley has over 1,700 established student groups. Housing is spread between twelve resident halls. Fraternities and sororities are offered. The incredible university has 72 Nobel Laureates and plenty of notable alumni. If you would like to study under high-quality education and have a memorable college social experience, then join the Golden Bears!