Two teams, one school help Hernandez reach his dreams

Chris finds the balance necessary to reach his goals.

Chris Hernandez plays soccer on a local club team, working hard in the position as one of two center defenders. These players have to be the strongest, hardworking leaders on the team, and Hernandez loves to fill that role.

A student in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program, Hernandez is dedicated to both his educational challenges and his team. Since it is so difficult to maintain both of these things, he sometimes gets stressed, falling behind on school work which gets him more stressed, making it difficult to perform to the high standard of the team, but he has learned more and more how to balance that stress. Having a strong and focused mindset has allowed him to achieve his lifetime goals.

Hernandez gets the most motivated when people start to question his ability to accomplish so much and he enjoys getting to prove them wrong, that he is able to do it all.

In relation to the team, he believes that the coaching staff for the school’s team, where he also plays, influences his academic success because they allow him to focus on the academic side as well as the athletic side. The coaching staff has certain days when students can catch up on academics, essentially a study hall so that they can maintain the required grades.

Hernandez often spends three to four hours a night doing homework, during soccer season and during the off-season. A typical schedule during the soccer season is nearly similar to his off-season, except that during season he adds practice, game days, and tournaments to his schedule. Off-season, he still wants to stay in shape for soccer season, but he may do it in different ways: bowling bike-riding, hiking, fishing, and swimming, which gives him a chance to do the activities he loves with friends and family. He also enjoys cooking and camping during the off-season.

One of Hernandez’s greatest strengths as a student athlete is to not be afraid to try new things. He enjoys taking risks that can either make or break what he is trying to attempt. Doing this shows how much he is willing to put on the table to be better.

Another of his strengths is the level of communication that he has with his teachers, coaching staff, and parents. This allows him to get more time for academics, know the schedule, and have the support he needs.

Hernandez believes in himself, that he can become a successful person as an athlete and as a student. Ever since he was a child, he has dreamed of giving his all to play in a division one school with a full ride scholarship. The club experience has helped him be a better player for either team he plays on and that makes him a better person all around.