Art may be innate, but it can be taught

National Arts in Education Week – September 13 – 19

Photo by bruce mars on Unsplash

Performances and product blossom in Arts Education.

National Arts in Education Week is a celebration recognizing the transformative power of the arts in education. Whether it’s theater, music, dance or visual arts, communities nationwide take this week as an opportunity to bring attention and support the arts as well as give access to students to learn them.

Art appreciation in America accelerated with the “picture study movement” in the late nineteenth century. Picture study was an important part of the education curriculum. This national week was passed by Congress in 2010; House Resolution 275 designates the week beginning with the second Sunday in September. This year it falls from September 13 – 19.

Armijo High School has a variety of arts: Ms. Sheena Beeson teaches drama and dance; Ms. Denise Hunter teaches choir; Ms. Louise Jacob teaches band director; and Mr. Cody Frisinger., Ms. Marita Redondo., and Mr. Joseph Waddles teach visual art. These teachers help students develop their artistic skills by allowing them to have creative expression that might not be as prominently taught in other subjects.

Art instruction also helps students with the development of motor skills, language skills, social skills, decision making, risk taking and inventiveness. The arts provide challenges and new opportunities to find some students’ interests.

Every year schools, art centers, and educational programs host local celebrations in their communities across the country. This year many of them will host virtual celebrations and events to advocate for arts education. Whether it’s an exhibit, class, performance, or open house, these celebrations are a fantastic way to bring attention to the cause.