Tradition and talent take a break – International Week Cancelled

These pictures are from 2019’s International Week.

International Week has been a long-standing tradition at Armijo High School. The International Club plans for this event to showcase their talent and the first week of May is when the event takes place every year. Dancing, music and games fill the lunch hour for five days, with students in traditional clothing for different regions of the world. But this year, this tradition will be broken.
“We were just starting our plan for the week [when the schools were shut down],” said International Club adviser, Ms. Vanessa Walling-Sisi, “but we had a vague idea.” That idea included performances from the Guitar Club, hosted by adviser Mr. Michael Blum, Afro-Caribbean drumming, featuring Mr. Rick McKinney and some of his students, and Folklorico dancers for the for Cinco de Mayo celebration.
“I hadn’t purchased anything yet, but the end of March was when I usually order flags, key chains, leis and more,” Ms. Sisi said. “I also confirm our field trip plans for the club, but now I’ve got to figure out how we get reimbursed by Boardwalk. So many balls in the air this time of year. Watching them fall is sad.”
Even her students in ERWC classes were disappointed because they would not be able to participate in the Mexican line dance called El Caballo Dorado.
“It’s a sad semester, but we are safer at home,” Ms. Sisi said.