Mr. Alves steps up the math game in B-4

Image by Chuk Yong from Pixabay

Mr. Alves takes his students through math one step at a time.

It is the first time that Mr. Alexander Alves has been teaching at Armijo, and the first time he has had his own class. Mr. Alves teaches math in B-4

Alves graduated from Chico State University, and went to Willows High School, an institution with fewer than 500 students. As a student, he was focused on sports. “I played mostly football and basketball, a little bit of baseball, but with all of that I still did well in all of my classes,” he said. “I had to make sure I passed if I wanted to continue playing on the team.”

Now he teaches mostly seniors and freshman in Math I and Business Math. “I love my job and how I have such good communication with some of my students,” he said. “My main goal is to make a great impact on them.” He also said that he might want to coach sports or run a club for students in the future. “I want to get more involved with the school activities and that’s one plan for making an impact on these young people.”

He admitted that his job can be frustrating at times because some kids act like they don’t care. As a high school student, Mr. Alves had no intention of becoming a teacher, especially in math, but that’s where he ended up. “My advice to all students is to make sure to pay attention in class and do your work. It’s going to pay off in the future, he said.