FSUSD COVID-19 impact update from Superintendent Kris Corey, 3/25

Photo by CDC on Unsplash

FSUSD keeps close watch on Coronavirus.

Dear FSUSD Families,

This is Kris Corey, Superintendent of the Fairfield-Suisun Unified School district with some important information regarding the extension of school closures, the implementation of distance learning, and the reduction of meal service locations.

The last week has presented both challenges and opportunities. We’ve been heartened to see so many people in our community stepping up to lead and volunteer.  We appreciate everyone coming together during this time of uncertainty.

As we move into a new phase of school closures during the COVID-19 pandemic, we need to share some important updated information.

Extending the Closure of FSUSD Schools Through Friday, May 1, 2020

After much consideration, FSUSD is extending school closures through May 1st. As a result, the first day back for students is tentatively set for Monday, May 4th, 2020. The decision to extend school closures was not made lightly, but we believe it is in the best interest of our students, staff and community.   

Virtual Meeting for High School Seniors and Their Parents

We recognize school closures cause a great deal of concern, particularly for our high school seniors. The District is coordinating a special virtual meeting for high school seniors and their parents on Thursday, April 2, 2020 from 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm. More information will be provided to our senior families early next week regarding the link and directions on participating in this virtual meeting. 

Distance Learning

Over the last two weeks, our teachers prepared to transition to a distance learning model that begins March 30th. Our buildings are closed but learning will continue. Unless previously enrolled in Google Classroom, your child should have received an invitation to join a Google Classroom.  

Starting Monday, please check Google Classroom for the first set of lessons. 

Meal Service During School Closure

Starting on Monday, March 30th, FSUSD will reduce the number of sites that distribute food to children during school closures. Reducing the number of sites will ensure that we have enough child nutrition staff to continue safely feeding children. The sites where feeding will occur starting on March 30th, 2020 are:

Fairview Elementary

Grange Middle

Suisun Elementary

Remember, any child 18 years or younger can receive a lunch and breakfast meal from these sites, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 11 am and 1 pm.

Please stay healthy. We will continue to keep you informed through Facebook, Twitter and the FSUSD website:  https://fsusd.org.