Therapy can be found through volunteer work

Judi M on Yelp

A peaceful setting and volunteering becomes more fulfilling.

Caleb Dutro has been volunteering at the Zia Ranch for much of his life. In a 2013 article in the East Bay Times, Zia Ranch’s Horsemanship’s program was explained: “Zia Ranch to serve special needs community through therapeutic horsemanship.

The Zia Ranch Horsemanship program is a Brentwood-based nonprofit that seeks to build and support a path of personal growth for people with challenges through a foundation of positive relationships with people, animals, and nature,” www.pressnet.com states. Dutro enjoys contributing to that positive environment.

The students attend once a week, usually after school on Tuesdays through Saturdays. They are paired with a horse that creates a unique bond with the individual. As of right now there are only 35 students enrolled in the program but they hope to get to 50 soon.

My CASA worker took me there when I was about nine years old and I went there for a year,” said Dutro. “After that year, I started volunteering.”

Dutro enjoys seeing the kids smile every day. He also likes working with special needs students as he learns alongside them. It can be dangerous sometimes, and he worries about “getting stepped on by a horse,he said.

This is not Dutro’s only volunteer experience. He also volunteered at “Christmas for Everyone” for about five years. He plans to continue volunteering with Zia Ranch after high school because he really enjoys it. He is currently looking for an additional place to volunteer in Woodland with a family friend.

“I encourage others to volunteer, especially if you are looking for some volunteer hours or just to do it for fun,Dutro said.